Blog Journal #2

As a student I have used Microsoft Word since I can remember. In elementary school we had a computer class to learn and practice these skills using word, powerpoint and excel. In this class we would work on objectives like using the different fonts or how to set up a certain style of research paper. This class has benefited more than I would have thought. Looking back that computer class may have seem pointless at the time but did teach me real life skills that I still use today. As for my teachers I think they used Word more than I did. All of my assignments, quizzes, project outlines and rubrics were all manufactured using Word. This gave my teachers easy access to change what they wanted and the ability to save their work for following years.

I have had a lot of experience with Copyright. Since the internet has been a huge part of my school career my teachers have taught a lot about it. As a young student each year we have an assigned class where we would review the rules of plagiarism and how to avoid it. One year my teacher actually took one of our papers we wrote and read it to the class pretending it was hers. After she did this she asked who's paper it was and how it felt that someone had taken credit for all of their hard work. This made me realize at a young age what the real issue with copyright was and why we should use the information we have to avoid it. This class was very helpful at the time and has stilled helped me to this day. I thinks a teacher I would also take a class on the explanation of copyright and plagiarism. This is super important to me because I feel liken many even at the college level still don't understand how to proper cite information and what is consider plagiarism.

With the use of technology does come a lot of problems, the internet when used correctly is a beautiful tool to enhance our classroom experience but it does come with lots of concerns. With this being said there are three major categories in which these problems could lie: Legal issues, Ethical issues and social issues. Some of the legal issues schools could run into include Copyright, Piracy, and Right to privacy. Copyright is one of the most important of these legal issues, this protects a person’s work, whether it be writing, music, or artwork. I think as a teacher I would explain to my class why it would not be okay to use someone else's work as your own by showing the consequences that it has. As a young student I remember watching plenty of plagiarism videos reminding us what not to do and how to avoid it. The next issues a school could run into would be Ethical issues, some of these issues could be Freedom of Speech, Academic honesty and Hacking. Freedom of Speech can be an extremely hard issues when you have students using the internet writing whatever they want because they can. In my classroom I would explain to my students that just because you can say anything does not mean you should and how once you put something on the internet it is there forever. Freedom of Speech could also possible lead to cyberbullying which is my next and final issue. Cyberbullying falls under the category of Social issue. Cyberbullying has become a major issue in the last fifteen years and has the opportunity to grow more with the new social media and technology coming out. In my classroom I would explain to my students that cyberbullying is strictly not allowed and if I were to find out that someone was cyberbullying there would be major consequences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Set Up

ILP#2 (Short Story)